Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

my thrift store finds

....on a TS shopping spree one day, with my daughter and her boyfriend's young daughter, I picked up quite a few wooden items, thinking I'd paint them, and paint "prim pictures" on them....

here's Ugly Betty, with the wooden bowls... I think she was waiting for me to fill them up with her food!!!!
Here's a picture of some of my finds.... can you tell I love all things wood???
A set of 4 needlepoint/wooden coasters, never taken out of the pkg! I'll have to think about what the needlework pattern will be that I'll do on these....

An Old Maid Card Game, with all the cards there! {for Arianna}

An owl needlework project, never started... {my mother collected/loved owls when I was young, It'll prob'ly be a gift for her...}

3 wooden salad bowls, a fourth one a little differently shaped~straight sided and polyurethaned, unlike the others! and a cute little scalloped edged wooden bowl, also poly'ed.

A mirror to hang on the wall with a flowered knob.

A tiny display piece with 8 little shelves...I fell in love with this little display shelf, I'm thinking thimbles will go perfectly in each little hole!
And I only own 2 decorative ones {and my 1 metal one which I use!!!}.....so, uh-oh, that means I'll be searching for thimbles now, too, whenever I'm out at the TS's and antique shops!!!

And, a flag.... the autumn wreath fabric is actually one of those little flags, {I finally broke down and got myself a stake to hang them on~that's another story, I'll post another time!!} This flag was 10cents! {wow!<>


the mirrored thing, i picked up, thinking it'd make a gift for Steph.... {she saw it in my pile at the store! and said, "oh, that's so cute, I want it!!" so I guess I thought right with that!!!}

For now, I've removed the flowered knob so that i could sand it all down, and it's ready for paint!





here's a facebook entry from today...
ok, so maybe my artistic {painting pictures!} skills aren't as good as the pictures i can "see" inside my head!!! LOL! I tried painting a picture on the first bowl, Steph & Ari were here, too, Steph told me it looked good, but I don't think so!!! .....so i left it overnight, thinking i'd see if it looks any better to me after walking away for a while.... {I don't dare go back and look again, I'm sure I'll still think it's bad!!!} So, instead, I am working on my grandmother's table...yes, it still is waiting for me to finish!!! ...so i sanded until the battery died on my sander!!! Now, it's charging, and i've been hand sanding, and working on a couple other small sanding projects.... {woops, i wrote way tooooo much for you fb people!!! I should have put this in my blog instead.... maybe i will try to cut & paste!!}
so, as you see, I did cut and paste my fb entry, and actually took the time to put it in my blog!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria! It's nice to meet you! You had a great day with all your treasures. I love wooden things too, there so much you can do with them! You will have to keep us posted on the final product.

    I love to thrift shop and I'm trying to do as much as I can before school begins. I teach elementary school and head back very soon. I love my job, but think I would love being a pro~fessional thrifter! {Not sure about the pay though!)
    Thanks for sharing your finds and dropping by to visit!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway. It will be interesting to follow someone from Florida.
    I do have a fascination for wood things. I love the feel of wood and all the ways I can change it. Check out my recipe blog and my favorite things blogs.
    Good luck!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx for the comments, my new friends! I've enjoyed getting to know you both, thru your blogs!

    Bev: I'm still thinking it looks bad, but it's become a "catch-all" near my sewing machine... Right now, it has the seam ripper, a thimble, some bobbins and a spool of thread in it... Yes, I will update with a photo, one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete